Another single Valentine’s Day?? Ladies, don’t sweat it, it’s not that serious. I can hear you now, “shut up, Sherice”. Listen, before you yell at me because I’m not single, know that I’ve been there, for years and I’m an expert at blocking out the noise on February 14.
Valentine’s Day is a day to share and spread love, even if that love is self-love. Too many times we think we need someone to “love” us, but guess what, it’s ok to love yourself. Single ladies, if you’re looking for ways to survive the ever dreaded Valentines Day, put your hands up?! Here are some of my fun things to do (and not to do) to take back your joy on love day.
- Buy Your Own Flowers: Let’s debunk this myth once and for all, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying yourself flowers. Yes, it’s nice to have someone send you flowers but if you want flowers, buy the damn flowers. It doesn’t even have to be roses, it can be a nice orchid to brighten up your space.
- Surprise Your Best Friend: Each Valentine’s Day, one of my favourite things to do is surprise my sister with a Valentine’s Day goodie bag to ensure she’s not left out! Valentine’s Day is a day of love, so show love to those around you!
- Treat Yourself: When we look good, we tend to feel good as well, so take some time to pamper yourself. Treat yourself to a spa day complete with a massage, a manicure, pedicure or a facial!
- Plan A Single’s Game Night: Grab as many single pals as you can find and celebrate together! Make it a potluck, complete with champagne and games and I’m sure there will be nothing but good times!
- Go Bar Hopping: Who says singles can’t have fun? Choose a few of your favourite bars and hop around town with a few friends in tow.
- Get Lost In A Good Book: A good book has the power to transport you anywhere in the world. Pick up a good novel, grab some wine and get lost. If fictions aren’t quite your thing, try catching up on Mark Manson’s ‘Subtle Art of Not Giving A *uck”, I think it’s perfect for the occasion.
- Go On A Date: Book a spot at your favourite restaurant and go on a date with your best friend or your sister or someone who makes you laugh until you cry. Eat good food, drink some good cocktails and people watch!
- Take The Day Off: Wallowing in singledom isn’t something that I advise, but guess what, it happens especially when you’re in an office surrounded by women waiting on their chocolates and flowers. Avoid it all by taking the day off so you don’t have to be reminded that you are single. Stay at home, log off of social media and watch a marathon of your favourite movies.
- Buy Something Pretty: The one good thing about this non-holiday is that you can find great deals on just about everything. Take advantage and buy yourself something you’ll love, something pretty!
- Do Not Text Your Ex: Valentine’s Day is one of those days that makes you want to do crazy things. Don’t be tempted by the love in the air to make the mistake of texting an old flame. They’re an ex for a reason! And if they do decide to text you a “Happy Valentine’s Day” message, block and delete, immediately!
Let’s all remember to breathe in and out and remind ourselves that it really is only a day.