“Sleep when you’re dead.” “Everyone has the same 24-hours as Beyonce.” “If you’re not rich, you’re not working hard enough.”
At some point, we’ve all scrolled through Instagram and seen these triggering quotes and memes on social media seeking to empower and inspire us to work as hard as we can to achieve the good life we’ve always dreamt of. These irresponsible messages coupled with toxic work environments and the new entrepreneurial dream have pushed many of us on the brink of burn out and beyond.
We have so many people walking around with their gas tanks on empty, stressed, exhausted, agitated and overworked. The truth is, we’ve all been there; so obsessed with working and hitting targets, projections, goals and Instagram followers, that we lose sight of ourselves and our real goals. If you’re suffering, feeling like you’re teetering on the edge of burnout, or currently burnt out, let’s fix it!
Here are five ways to deal with burnout!
- Sleep – Sleep is vital to your health and contrary to unpopular beliefs, you should sleep while you’re alive. Lack of sleep is detrimental to your brain health, as sleep helps to improve learning, memory, creativity, decision making and so much more. Sleep helps to rejuvenate, reset and revitalize your entire body and is an asset, not a liability. Skipping your regular 6-8 hours is counterproductive to your goals.
- Take A Vacation – Whether it is a weekend in The Bahamas or a staycation in your city, always utilize your days off to take a break. A change of scenery and pace always helps to take your mind off of the responsibilities of work and building a business. Do something different, try new food, explore historic sights or spend a relaxing day beachside. I promise you’ll be fresh to deal with the challenges waiting for you in your inbox.
- Take A Social Media Detox – Social media plays an integral role in the way this generation thinks, feels, and ultimately operates. We all get caught up comparing ourselves, and our lives to our peers and strangers. Comparision is still the thief of joy; it unfairly tricks us into thinking that we aren’t doing enough and unfortunately pushes us to the limit to match the accomplishments of strangers. Take a break from the noise, refocus your efforts and clean up your social channels if need be.
- Hit The Gym– Confused, frustrated, agitated, or feeling a bit stuck…hit the gym or your favourite work out spot. Exercising helps you to blow off some steam, clear your mind and get you moving and helps to destress! Exercise helps to improve your mood, energy levels and overall is good for you. Taking care of your body should be a priority, never an afterthought.
- Refocus Your Goals – I’ve recently been dealing with burn out, and one of the most important things I remembered was why I started. I had strayed away from the main thing, and therefore was trying to do too much and eventually did too much, hence burn out. Always remember why you started and what’s important. If your goal, job, or business is psychically or emotionally draining you, it’s time to take another look at your plans.
Burning out is never a good thing. It can be irresponsible and reak havoc on your professional and personal lives. As we move forward in pursuit of our goals, let’s remember to do so responsibly, taking care of our bodies and our minds.